httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject RE: NT stuff
Date Fri, 18 Jul 1997 20:29:18 GMT
On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Sam Robb wrote:

>   I agree - but would there be a problem with allowing a
> configuration to specify a modules directory?  Any DLLs
> present in the directory could be preloaded by the server
> on startup as extension modules.

It doesn't need to. The way it works currently is that "LoadModule
mod_foo.dll" will look for mod_foo.dll in the server root, and load
it. If you want a modules directory, just use that in your argument:
"LoadModule modules/mod_foo.dll" or whatnot.

>   Also, if each module resided in it's own DLL, upgrading
> the core functionality of the server would be simpler for
> folks who are using binary distributions (download the DLL
> that patches a service, toss it in the modules directory
> and restart the server to apply the patch.)

Except that the Apache Group doesn't version its modules differently than
the core. So if there were changes to our module distribution, there'd be
a new binary for the Apache core as well.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>