httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Slight doc rewording
Date Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:51:17 GMT
On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>     As part of the docs cleanup, I would like to make a slight change to
>     the syntax of the per-directive headings.
>
>     Right now, they're variously "<H3>Foo</H3>" or else
>     "<H3>Foo directive</H3>" (plus others, but those are the only two
>     I'm considering valid).  Because this looks seriously weird in some
>     cases (e.g., "<H3>satisfy</H3>"), I would like to change them to
>     "<H3>The "Foo" directive</H3>".  The table of contents at the top of
>     each page, headed as it already is by "<H3>Directives</H3>", would
>     remain unchanged.

FWIW, I'm responsible that. David Robinson used "Foo directive"
exclusivly when he wrote the original docs. When I added stuff (I wrote
most of the new docs in 1.1), I thought that looked stupid, so used
"Foo". I'd perfer the latter, obviously, if you wanted to change all of
them. But if you want to use something wordier, I'd perfer
"<H3>The <code>Foo</code> directive</H3>".

Also, some things aren't really directives. <Directory>, for example. I
think the proper Apache term is "section", but the docs use
directive. *shrug*

[...]

>     The next phase I'm working on, regardless of the results of this
>     one, is to change all tag names and keywords to uppercase (e.g.,
>     "<a href="foo">" will become "<A HREF="foo">").  That's pretty much
>     a no-brainer.

I perfer lowercase HTML. While I don't mind too much if you change it to
uppercase, be warned that any docs I write will continue to have
lowercase tags. Just try and stop me :P

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>