httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: ASP support in Apache
Date Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:14:24 GMT
On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Has anyone looked at what it might require to support Microsoft's
> ASP thingy in Apache?

Yes, I spent a few minutes considering this the other day. Basically, it
would require a lot, as far as I can tell. ASP is a rather nifty concept,
in that it integrates HTML with inline scripting in a non-language
dependent way (i.e., you can use any scripting language that supports
ASP, although Visual Basic is the default), and lets objects from
different scripting langauges interact with each other.

However, it seems rather complex to implement. I'm not even sure it can
be done on a non-Windows platform; it makes use of ActiveX and other
Microsoft technologies, although I'm not sure how heavily.

However, even if ASP was rewritten for Apache, it would not mean that you
could drop ASP pages into your document root, and they would work, since
ASP requires "components", all of which, of course, are Windows-specific
thus far.

I suppose it might be feasible for the Windows Apache. Actually, what
might be a better solution is this: I've done some work on a module that
lets Apache load ISAPI extensions (and maybe ISAPI filters) on
Windows. It's possible that the ASP DLLs could be taken from IIS (which
is free) and dropped into Apache, in that case. However, it's equally
possible that ASP makes use of IIS in a way that is not part of the ISAPI
spec, and so would probably never work on a server that wasn't IIS or
PWS. I'd expect nothing less of Microsoft.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. As I said, I only spent a few minutes
looking at the issue.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>