httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic loading of Windows modules (+mod_dll.c_
Date Tue, 08 Jul 1997 03:21:52 GMT
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, sameer wrote:

> > "apache.exe" file. It must be both an "apache.exe" file and a
> > "libapache.dll" that must tag along. I personally don't see this as much
> > of a program, but maybe it is?
>
> 	If Apache NT is going to be called 'apache', shouldn't we
> changed 'httpd' to 'apache'?
>
> 	I actually think we shouldn't make that change, because of the
> confusion it would cause, unfortunately. =(

Well, as people have pointed out, the whole Apache installation issue is
screwed up WRT having the server run from its source directory. We should
have a make install that puts the files in /usr/local/etc/httpd
(/usr/local/etc/apache?). I personally am ambivilent as to whether or not
the Apache binary should be called 'httpd' or 'apache'; apache is somewhat
more descriptive of the product, httpd is descriptive of the purpose,
which is somewhat traditional in Unix.

I certainly feel we should keep with "apache" for Windows, as "httpd" is
next-to-meaningless in that context.

Oh, I forget to mention: mod_dll.c won't work unless you install the patch
to http_config.c I posted earlier. Actually, it will work, but the server
will crash soon after starting. (immediately after the first round of
configuration) Which isn't a good way to serve web pages :)

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>