httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Patches to 1.3
Date Thu, 03 Jul 1997 00:39:55 GMT
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> No it doesn't have to be exactly the same as perl.  At any rate, here is
> essentially what I was thinking of:

[...]

> This then abstracts the concept of matching strings.  You need to define
> a syntax that the parser understands.  Then everything is switched to
> using this, and we can add to the syntax freely later should we need to.

This is well and good, but I honestly don't think it's all that useful for
the current Apache code, since nearly every place it matches strings, it
does it just a little bit differently. Which is why I suggested that for
2.0, it's a good idea. But if we want to keep 1.3 config files compatible
with 1.2 and earlier (which we do), it's not all that useful.

Some string matches in Apache are prefix matches, some are prefix matches
that have to match file segments. Some will match anywhere in the string.
Some are suffix matches. Some support shell-style metacharacters. Some
don't. And it's nearly impossible for such an abstraction to know exactly
what to do with Apache's various uses of match substitution.

In other words, I think this is far more complicated than you make it out
to be. My patch, on the other hand, is very simple. See below:

[...]

> At any rate your patch adds new directives without adding more
> functionality, right?  It can be accomplished with mod_rewrite
> already... why can't people just use mod_rewrite?  Of course, ad hoc
> is the tradition of the apache config language :)

No, I've spent the last year thinking about this, and have decided it's
the proper thing to do. mod_rewrite is not used by the vast majority of
Apache users, because it is very complex in nature. My *Match directives
are, on the other hand, simple. Even Ralf liked them, for that reason.

If you perfer, don't think of Alias and AliasMatch as different
directives. Think of them as the same directive with different names.
(they are, really) And I personally feel that, given the current state of
Apache 1.x, this is the best solution that does not add confusion to the
server or require massive amounts of rewriting (like your approach) which
is best left for 2.0.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>