httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Modules as windows DLLs
Date Wed, 02 Jul 1997 20:33:30 GMT
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, George Carrette wrote:

> Using shared libraries under Unix is different from say Windows or VMS
> for example. In those environments what you usually do is
> to put all the entry points required by dynamically linked modules
> into one big shared library, LIBAPACHE.DLL, and to link both your vestigial
> main.o
> against that library and to link all dynamically linked modules against it.

Hmm. *sigh* I was afraid of that. Still, if we want to do this for 1.3,
it's not too bad. I'm not against it, if it lets us let the user allow
easily loadable modules without recompilation.

[...]

> Of course making LIBAPACHE.DLL will require a LIBAPACHE.DEF file
> which declares each and every single external call needed by loadable modules.
> How to generate this list? Ideally automatically from the properly
> maintained public .h files and the api documentation!
> Otherwise, by hand as usual.

"properly maintained"? Apache? In the same sentence? Never... :) Actually,
it wouldn't matter if functions that aren't really supposed to be public
got exported, so it would be simple to write a script that traversed the
.h files and pulled out a list of functions.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>