httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: anonymous CVS access
Date Thu, 31 Jul 1997 02:42:01 GMT
On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Cost of maintenance is the biggest issue, definitely.  With apache and
> hyperreal and others on the same machine, it's very easy to amortize time I
> spend (and others, I'm not the only admin) across multiple projects.  I
> could dedicate much less time if it were elsewhere; and as I'm not nearly
> the C code jockey that others here are, it's the primary way I contribute.
>
> I plan on converting to FreeBSD this weekend.
>
> Aside from the security issues, and bandwidth issues which'll be fixed as
> soon as someone at Wired flips the right switch in their routers, are there
> any other concerns?  Capability of the machine?  Turnaround on system admin
> requests?  "eggs in one basket"?

Eggs in a basket.  Even if all the eggs on hyperreal are good eggs,
eventually if you pile too many in a basket one will crack and make a
goopy mess over everything.

I would simply be more comfortable with a machine where the exposure is
more limited.  Less users to write CGI scripts which could be insecure,
less users to track and notice oddities in access patterns, less users who
could possibly have their logins subverted in whatever way.

I don't have a problem with the location (although I think the uunet DS3
to my house would still be a good idea... <g>), no problems with the
capability of the machine (hey, load averages of 25 are normal.  <g>), no
problems with turnaround times or the way it is administered.

I agree with your concerns and am glad that you are able to contribute as
you have been.  It certainly has made life a lot easier than it could have
been and I have no complaints about the way you have done anything.  I do,
however have concerns.