httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: PR#722 - "symlinksifownerorrootmatch"
Date Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:52:17 GMT
There is more to it than that.  Under Solaris, changing the owner of the
link (not the file it points to, but the link) _does_ cause Apache to deny
access.  Haven't looked at the code.  Hmm.  Oh, that sucks.  Does Apache
check if the owner of the link matches the owner of where it is linked to?

As what was going to be an aside, on some systems symlinks don't even have
owners but just take the ownership and permissions of the file they point
to.  Always fun to create symlinks you can't remove.  More importantly in
this case, seems to me like Apache may allow you to symlink anywhere
because the owners will always match.