httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <>
Subject Re: assert() without -DNDEBUG
Date Wed, 09 Jul 1997 19:55:26 GMT
There are no assert()s in anywhere except the regex code in the current
source.  There are ap_assert()s.

I'm not sure what you are talking about WRT NDEBUG.  It is in regex
becaues it is in regex.

In 1.3, ap_assert logs it then does an abort().  That is a good thing
because that is the way assert() behaves.  Something is the way it
shouldn't be, and that could impact anything.  Best solution is to kill
the process.

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Nathan J Kurz wrote:

> I'm confused by the use of assert's in Apache.  In bprintf.c there are
> a couple used as sanity checks.  This is fine, but should the CFLAGS
> then default to include -DNDEBUG?  Or are the assert's necessary to
> the code?  But why would abort() in the middle of a print be a good
> thing in the distributed version?

View raw message