httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic loading of Windows modules (+mod_dll.c_
Date Tue, 08 Jul 1997 03:57:56 GMT
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> At 08:21 PM 7/7/97 -0700, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> >Well, as people have pointed out, the whole Apache installation issue is
> >screwed up WRT having the server run from its source directory. We should
> >have a make install that puts the files in /usr/local/etc/httpd
> >(/usr/local/etc/apache?).
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure what's considered "standard" for third-party system

man 7 hier on a BSD box.

> daemons; ssh puts itself in /usr/local/sbin, ftpd in /usr/local/etc, qmail
> in /var/qmail/bin :) qpopper in /usr/local/bin, etc.  I say /usr/local/bin
> is fine for suexec, httpd and other support programs, and

/usr/local/bin is not fine for suexec or httpd, it is fine for other
support programs.  suexec would go in /usr/local/libexec (it is execed by
libs, hence libexec), httpd in /usr/local/sbin (it is a system daemon
executed by users).

Everything under /var/apache or /var/www or /var/httpd is my favorite, but
that is an abuse of /var.  I like having it all under one tree, not config
files scattered around.

/etc/ should not be touched.

> /usr/local/etc/httpd for config files.  Lockfiles by *default* should be in

Possible.

> /tmp or the logdir or something.  And the man page of course in

There is no logdir.

> /usr/local/man.

Performatted or not?  Compressed or not?

Fact is that you can't make people happy.  I would suggest an install
script needs to let people choose, as well as having several pre-defined
types (eg. BSD structure, all under one dir, etc.) to pick from.  It also
has to parse the config files to make it work.  It should also cp
*.conf-dist to *.conf.  It should also tell the user to do something to
make it run at boot.