httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: IndexOptions enhancements (was: Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES Configuration.tmpl mod_autoindex.c mod_dir.c)
Date Sat, 12 Jul 1997 19:42:57 GMT
On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >Oh yeah, another feature I've frequently wanted is the ability to click
> >one of the table headings and have it resort the table by that type.  Like
> >fetch href="?sort=date".
>
>     Yes, that would be nice - but I don't see how it be anything except
>     an incredible performance hit for directories beyond a particular
>     threshold.  You'd have to pre-load the entire directory, sort it,
>     and emit it - high in CPU, memory, and time-concentrated I/O - and
>     the client would be sitting there waiting until you were done.

So?  If someone wants it in order then they want it in order.

The IO shouldn't be too bad for directories under a few thousand entries.
Sure, it is a bit slower, requires more memory in the server for
buffering, etc. but...

OTOH, "big directories" to me have several hundred files in (I hate Usenet
sometimes...) so my sense of scale may be somewhat different.