httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/803: Multiple /// in URLs allowed (e.g. http://host////somefile.html) (fwd)
Date Wed, 02 Jul 1997 00:07:35 GMT
Comments on what is legal or correct behavior?

>From several documents, multiple '/'s in a row are illegal (although if
they are encoded that is a different issue...) so I would suggest we can
do whatever we want with them.

The current behavior has the advantage of allowing for things like slighly
bogus redirects (eg. where a / is added to something with a / already on)
to still work.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 10:44:28 +0100
From: Mike Wright <m.j.wright@open.ac.uk>
To: marc@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: general/803: Multiple /// in URLs allowed (e.g.          http://host////somefile.html)

marc@hyperreal.org wrote:

> Synopsis: Multiple /// in URLs allowed (e.g. http://host////somefile.html)
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
> State-Changed-By: marc
> State-Changed-When: Mon Jun 30 10:55:36 PDT 1997
> State-Changed-Why:
> Yes, that is the way Apache behaves, but what is the problem
> with it?  It is the same behavior as most Unix filesystems
> exhibit.

Well, that forced me to go look at the definition again,
and from the BNF description, /// can occur
(http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html). Compliance
means no bug.

The apache server is relying on the underlying file system
which may not act the same way on every system, thus possible
inconsistencies. Other servers such as Netscape don't allow
multiple /'s in the path (probably to remove the possible
inconsistency.) Maybe the apache behavior (even if it's
compliant) should be pointed out in the documents.

Mike.