httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES httpd.h
Date Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:38:32 GMT
>    Ah, but I don't accept the "given" here.  There are two parts, the
>    naming and the numbering.  I feel that, when a release exits the
>    final beta stage and becomes formally released, the beta counter
>    should reset to zero.  Numerically, that means doing something like
>    Ben's algorithm.  So 0103013 might mean 1.3b13, but 1.3 (no longer
>    -dev) is represented as 0103100.  The fifth position will always contain a
>    small digit (perhaps 0 for an alpha version, 1, for a beta, and 2
>    for formal.  Two alpha versions followed by three betas followed by
>    release would thus be
>
>     0103001	1.3a1
>     0103002	1.3a2
>     0103101	1.3b1
>     0103102	1.3b2
>     0103103	1.3b3
>     0103200	1.3 formal
>
>    Simple, monotonically increasing, and I can tell at a glance what
>    the version is.  I can't do that with your scheme, Roy.

You can if you don't use three separate numbering schemes for the software
version.  I take it you are excluding the possiblility of a 1.3.1a2
just on general principles.  While you are at it, you might as well use
an additional digit for -dev vs released.

I don't have any time to continue the discussion, let alone maintain such
a convoluted numbering scheme.  If you are willing to document it in
the appropriate places, and the group remembers to update it when a
new release is built, then I will be happy to let it go.

....Roy