httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Bugs 164/454/625/756
Date Sat, 19 Jul 1997 13:46:10 GMT
>> I was reading thru the bugs database and came across the bug reports
>> #164/#454/#625/#756, all relating to SunOS 4.1.x kernel panics under
>> Apache.  Turning off Optimization helped a lot (from 4-5 crashes/day, to
>> one about every two weeks), I was able to capture two kernel cores and
>> analyze them. The system calls on the stack both times were _setsockopt
>> and _sosetopt. One panic also had _getsockname involved. I don't know if
>> this helps but I thought I'd offer it.

SunOS4 has a kernel bug in the allocation of memory for the mbuf table.
When it fills up, the result is a Panic the next time any routine tries
to set something in an imaginary mbuf beyond the range of the table.
Due to buggy browser behavior and the lack of a FIN_WAIT_2 timeout
on SunOS4, "KeepAlive Off" is necessary to avoid filling up the mbuf
table on busy sites.

....Roy  [this response should be appended to all of those reports]