httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: [POLL] Style guide enhancement/clarification
Date Wed, 16 Jul 1997 16:26:28 GMT
>From the fingers of Jim Jagielski flowed the following:
>
>Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>
>>     3. Conventions for simple if, while, and for blocks:
>>
>>        b) if (exp)
>>               statement;
>>           +1: Ben (implicitly from [4])
>+1

    How about allowing (but not requiring) braces for single-statement
    blocks?

>>     5. Conventions for wrapping long (>80 column) routine
>>        definitions/invocations:
>>
>>        a) foo_func (a, b,
>>               c, d)
>>           +1:
>+1

    My rationale on the subject of wrapping..  Wrapping "whenever you
    have to" but putting as many terms/element on each line, means you
    need to visually evaluate the statement/expression in two dimensions
    (make sure you've processed all the things on the line & remembered
    them, then move to the next line & repeat).  I find that makes
    interpretation of Boolean complex conditions, in particular, quite
    difficult.  Hence, I prefer to see all the terms on one line, or
    else one per line.  MHO.

    #ken    :-)}