httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/htdocs/manual/misc FAQ.html
Date Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:16:42 GMT
>From the fingers of Marc Slemko flowed the following:
>
>Many moons ago, before I existed in this plane of being, there was a site.
>It was organized on a way.  That way has since passed on to better things.
>We have a new way.
>
>Many links point to the old way, however.  They have not moved on as it
>has.  symlinks help ease the painful transition from the old way to the
>new way.

    Ah, Locust, truly you bring wisdom.

    {Sigh}  Well, if that's the explanation, it looks like the solutions
    are:

     1) Zap the symlink and let the 404 ErrorDocument aid the seeker.
     2) Zap the symlink and have Brian set up an alias to redirect to
        the new FAQ location.
     3) Leave the symlink and let the internal links be broken.
     4) Zap the symlink and replace it with a suitably-patched copy of
        the real FAQ.html, to be separately [un]maintained unto
    	perpetuity by whomever's commited the latest goof.  (Until the
    	next goof, when the torch passes.)
     5) Zap the symlink and replace it with an actual copy of the Tao of
        Programing.

    I prefer [1], personally, although [5] has a certain appeal.

    #ken    :-)}