httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Date Sat, 12 Jul 1997 15:40:17 GMT
>From the fingers of Dean Gaudet flowed the following:
>
>On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
>
>> My preference: change the index module so you can give it a
>> strftime()/sprintf() type string that specifies what information to
>> include and how to format it.  Things could include filename, size in
>> different units, atime/ctime/mtime, owner, days since modified, etc.  I
>> think that would be cool and more useful than specific directives to
>> alter the width of this or that.
>
>Ooooh this would be nice!

    Indeed.  That's how I'm reworking it.

>Oh yeah, another feature I've frequently wanted is the ability to click
>one of the table headings and have it resort the table by that type.  Like
>fetch href="?sort=date".

    Yes, that would be nice - but I don't see how it be anything except
    an incredible performance hit for directories beyond a particular
    threshold.  You'd have to pre-load the entire directory, sort it,
    and emit it - high in CPU, memory, and time-concentrated I/O - and
    the client would be sitting there waiting until you were done.

    Not for 1.3, I don't think..

    #ken    :-)}