httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Dynamic loading of Windows modules (+mod_dll.c_
Date Tue, 08 Jul 1997 12:22:23 GMT
>From the fingers of Alexei Kosut flowed the following:
>
>Well, as people have pointed out, the whole Apache installation issue is
>screwed up WRT having the server run from its source directory. We should
>have a make install that puts the files in /usr/local/etc/httpd
>(/usr/local/etc/apache?).

    No, no, no.  *No* hardcoded locations - particularly not any as
    bogus as the current defaults. ;->

    Maybe a user-settable line in Configuration?  With a default such as

     "BINDIR=.."

    Then "make install" can simply "cp httpd ${BINDIR}/httpd" and a
    chmod.  (You can't do a "mv", though that would be better from the
    permissions aspect, because then a vanilla "make" or "make install"
    would think it had to re-load the httpd file.)

    #ken    :-)}