httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Lou D. Langholtz" <...@usi.utah.edu>
Subject Re: Enhancement patch for mod_info.c for Apache 1.1.1 and 1.2.0
Date Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:43:04 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > I've made a patch for code changes I've just finished that adds a
> > directive to the Info Module for adding additional information for
> > modules listed. It's available at
> > <http://www.eng.utah.edu/~ldl/apache/patches/1.2.0/97071001/>.
>
> It looks ok to me, but I am not sure all that many people would use this
> feature.
>
> +0
>
> -Rasmus

I won't deny trying to feature creep into the code :-)

On the other hand, this change really does seem useful for the web sites
I admin since lots of people do content but only I do the technical
stuff. For them, at least, anything I can do to help self-document the
server seems a plus. I've worked on technical web site FAQ lists and
other docs before and always felt like having a hook back like this
would help bring the information together more thouroughly.

The other thing I've wanted for sometime was an addition to the module
API... a const char string for a compile-time-configured URL that the
module's author could use to address information they wanted to provide
with their module --- like usage information, copyrights, or just
further author recognition. Kind of like Netscape's help menu that links
in help through external web pages. This also seems like another good
incentive for more companies to develop for Apache; more recognition. In
the meantime, the patch seems to take care of at least the usage part of
this and I don't believe that the extra functionality bloats the binary
size more than it's worth since its so little code.