httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject text of announcement message
Date Thu, 24 Jul 1997 01:51:36 GMT
Here's the proposed text; let me know if you have any comments before 9pm PST.

Subject: Alpha release of NT support for Apache

In a first for the Apache Group, we are making available an
experimental version of the Apache web server which includes support
for the Win32 API.  This has been tested fairly well on Windows NT 4.0,
but should work for Windows 95, and might even work for Windows NT 3.5.
It is available in SOURCE CODE ONLY, and requires Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0
to compile.  Future releases will include binaries.

This is being called an "alpha" because we have not frozen the feature set or
API for 1.3, and will likely add things or change things around.  We do want
to see people try this out, and in particular, comment upon the NT
implementation details.

Also included in this release is experimental support for ISAPI, Microsoft's
specification for server-side functionality.  In particular we implement ISAPI
"extensions", but not ISAPI "filters".  Also, modules outside the "core
set" are compiled as .dll's, and can be loaded or unloaded at runtime based
on
directives in the configuration files.

There are some other new features provided in 1.3, such as regular
expression support for more directives, an improved directory indexing
module, a "magic number"-based module for assigning MIME types, and a
child_init phase of the Apache API.  The NT support is the primary motive
for this release.

If you are a developer proficient in Windows NT who wishes to contribute
significantly to the project, please send an email to apache@apache.org.

Enjoy!

	The Apache Group,  http://www.apache.org/

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org