httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject RE: NT stuff
Date Fri, 18 Jul 1997 21:06:21 GMT
At 01:29 PM 7/18/97 -0700, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Sam Robb wrote:
>
>>   I agree - but would there be a problem with allowing a
>> configuration to specify a modules directory?  Any DLLs
>> present in the directory could be preloaded by the server
>> on startup as extension modules.
>
>It doesn't need to. The way it works currently is that "LoadModule
>mod_foo.dll" will look for mod_foo.dll in the server root, and load
>it. If you want a modules directory, just use that in your argument:
>"LoadModule modules/mod_foo.dll" or whatnot.

But I see his point; from a configuration perspective it's definitely more
attractive to be able to just tell someone "put this mod_rewrite.dll in
your /dlls directory" than even tell them "put this directive in your
config files".  However, one still needs to edit the config files to add
directives to actually activate any of the modules, so without a more
advanced configuration system this is largely moot.

But this does suggest that structuring the config files so the directives
are grouped by module (whenever possible) and lead these groups with the
right LoadModule directive, makes goobers of sense.

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org