httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: ABOUT_APACHE on WWW.Apache.Org
Date Fri, 11 Jul 1997 05:00:26 GMT
At 06:45 PM 7/10/97 +1100, you wrote:
>Is there a reason why new-httpd is a mailing list instead of a quasi-private
>news server?

>From a server perspective: for a world-wide distributed high-volume
high-signal-to-noise low-user-number mailing list, it's much more scalable
to support mail delivery than news server access.  At least until "nnrpd"
is multithreaded.  :)  (which Netscape may have done for their server, I
dunno, nor do I care..)

>I am new here, and have lots of expertise and time to
>contribute.

And such is the lifeblood of the project!

>But, the mailing list is so (wonderfully) active, that finding the
>right "thread" where my time would be most well spent and useful is
>quite difficult.  In fact, I try to keep a low-profile rather than clutter
>the mailing list with "newbie" junk.

I'd be happy to (and do) answer questions off-list if you'd like...

>It appears that there is a relatively stable core group that's been around
>for a while, and that in the presence of a larger group of contributors, a
>single list may become somewhat overwhelming to newcomers and
>old time residents as well.

True, and much of what we do here may seem noisy, but the pace of
development is extremely fast, and it has seemed to work; though admittedly
it's not for everyone.  It's just a different way of doing things.

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org