httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Wisniewski <ga...@spidereye.com.au>
Subject Re: ASP support in Apache
Date Wed, 16 Jul 1997 23:59:45 GMT
At 12:41 15/07/97 -0400, Doug MacEachern wrote:
>> mod_perl won't help, since it's really just a faster way to write CGI
scripts,
>No, that's only a small part of what mod_perl gives you:
>(from the mod_perl README)
[clip]
>I don't know much about ASP, but Apache/Perl modules  such as
>Apache::Embperl, Apache::ePerl and Apache::SSI provide a few ways to
>handle Perl embedded in HTML files.

Let me clarify a bit.  I didn't mean to say anything disparaging about
mod_perl,
but I believe ASP and PHP/FI are fundamentally different in that they
emphasize
HTML as the foundation so that non-programmers can more easily
create active pages.

Maybe mod_perl could be packaged as such and SSI use of mod_perl
could be made into the same kind of embedded language.  But, to
get logic flow and other things to seamlessly operate spanning HTML
boundaries would be essentially heading down a different design
track.

There are lots and lots of people who can easily "cut-and-paste" bits
of ASP or PHP/FI code, as well as JavaScript, into their pages to make
them work, without really understanding sequential logic per-se.   I believe
it would be much more difficult for the same people to exploit any of
the features of mod_perl.

Why is this important?

Well, ASP is creating the same awareness of server-side script authoring as
JavaScript did for client-side.  Microsoft is pushing it harder and harder,
and there are Wizards for FP97 which insert ASP code, etc.  Judging from
the number of books being written on ASP, and the "anybody can create
active pages" approach,  it's working quite well.

So, from an Apache point of view, ASP is the icing on the cake which
would open the eyes of those who are now being wooed into believing
that IIS is a "next generation server" and that ASP is a revolutionary
invention.  It's much easier to just give people ASP than to try to convince
them of the technical merits of various server-side authoring technologies.

I'm not praising ASP, believe me.  It's simply a strategy issue in attempting
to create an Apache for NT which has appeal to both those knowledgable
about Apache as well as those who are not, which under NT will be the
majority of potential users.

Gary

Gary Wisniewski
Spider Eye Studios Pty. Ltd., Australia, +61 3 9415 6700
[Formerly GUI Online Productions]