httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Philip A. Prindeville" <phil...@enteka.com>
Subject Proxy module: Support for ReceiveBufferSize
Date Fri, 01 Aug 1997 00:42:19 GMT
I was noticing that my Proxy server was really slow, and doing a
quick "netstat" turned up that the Proxy was using a window size
of 8760 (the default on Solaris 2.5.1) when connecting to the
remote FTP or HTTP server.  On a cross-country or international
link, this can be really slow!

I use "ReceiveBufferSize 65536" or even 64000 and this works just
great.  Beats having to tweak the tcp_recv_hiwat variable globally.

I thought about hacking the code to use the same value as the
send_buffer_size, but thought that send_buffer_size is used for
sending to the client, whereas the problem here was the server-to-
server buffer being too small for receiving to keep the pipeline
full, and decided that a separate parameter would give users
more freedom.

So, if you want the patches (they are for 1.2.0, sorry!) look in:

	ftp://enteka.com/pub/WWW/apache_1.2.0.patches

this is not affected by the Solaris bug whereby accept() doesn't
clone socket parameters to the new sockets....

Thanks,

-Philip