httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Doug MacEachern <do...@opengroup.org>
Subject Re: ApacheModulePerl.dll
Date Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:13:27 GMT
Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com> wrote:

> > If a Perl script calls exit() we want to log_transaction() before
> > bailing out.  translate_name() was used before I stumbled onto the
> > sub-request mechanism.
>
> Why would you need to call log_transaction? I'm not familiar with how
> mod_perl works, but shouldn't the Apache request pass on to the logging
> phase, as it does after every other type of request?
>
> I'm concerned here, because there may be other things added to the
> request after the handler besides logging.

The problem is, no scripts should call exit(), but many people's CGI scripts are
littered with exit() statements.  Which is fine for CGI scripts as
they are their own process, mod_perl scripts are inside the server.
log_transaction() was a half-assed attempt to "do-the-right-thing".
What happens if a C module calls exit()?  Everything stops ticking
right away, right?

-Doug