httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Source re-org / Don't Panic
Date Sun, 27 Jul 1997 10:35:58 GMT

In article <9707262338.aa00629@paris.ics.uci.edu> you wrote:
> I'd *really* like to see a 1.2.2 release before 1.3a2.  Leaving our
> current "stable" branch in a clearly unstable state is a bad idea,
> and I'd like to get the methods fix out there before most of the world
> upgrades to 1.2.1.

Me too. I also think it is not wise to make endless beta cycles to make a
program stable on the one hand but end after 1.2.1 while we now there are bugs
which are already fixed on the other hand. I also vote to make an Apache 1.2.2
release which incorporates all bugfixes we had done between 1.2.1 and the
current HEAD. I think we should

   1. go through the CVS log and discover the bugfixes
   2. vote for those which are not trivial ones. i.e. where
      one cannot obviously see if this is only a bugfix but
      which is essentially needed to be incorporated.
   3. commit those stuff to the APACHE_1_2 branch
   4. roll Apache 1.2.2 and release it as our most
      stable version.

I think it is a really good idea to do this, because 1.3 needs time to be
really stable again and it is ugly not to have a really stable version in the
meantime. We have too much users which rely on our program, so we should
provide them always a stable version. There should be always both a stable
version for the masses of users and a bleeding edge version for developers and
hackers.

So, if no other guy wants, I could manage this 1.2.2 release process while the
others can continue with the NT porting/cleanup stuff and the source
reorganisation.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com