httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src/helpers GuessOS
Date Mon, 21 Jul 1997 19:32:08 GMT
Jeff Hayes wrote:

> On Jul 21, 10:30, Dean Gaudet amazed me with these words:
> >
> > FWIW, auto detecting -n32 and then using it can be a hassle for people who
> > develop local modules/libraries and have them built -o32 still.  I know I
> > was able to build an -n32 apache just by putting the -n32 in EXTRA_CFLAGS
> > and EXTRA_LDFLAGS.  But we can see how it goes during the beta.
>
> I talked over the pros and cons of N32 vs O32 with one of the guys
> here who knows things about IRIX and SGI hardware that head office
> do not.
>
> He said that N32 bit processing would make for less load on the serving
> machine as the daemon would run lighter per process and take fewer
> cycles for the same processing.  This is important for my application.
> The advantages of N32 suggest to me that it should be the default
> but I see that some Apache modules may only work in o32 so one has
> to be aware of possible problems..

Here's what the current stuff does. Configure uses a new Rule, IRIXN32,
which determines how the compilation should be handled. The default
will be, if Configure finds n32 libs, to enable N32 bit processing.
This can be changed by using Rule IRIXN32=no in Configuration.

The default will be to use N32 for now :)