httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martijn Koster <...@webcrawler.com>
Subject Re: config files stuff
Date Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:58:52 GMT
On Wed, Jul 16, 1997 at 10:00:10PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Can you give an example where [arbitrary number of config files] is useful?

We do that for a distributed server farm, in multiple locations, with
differently configured machines. In addition to httpd/access/srm.conf
we have a company.conf, network.conf and host.conf. And access/srm
are optional, and in fact not used here anymore.

httpd.conf contain a standard Apache setup, on all machines
company.conf contains our own directives, on all machines
network.conf overrides some directives, on specific networks
host.conf overrides some directives that depend on the host (MaxClients etc)

This way we can dist out cross-service changes in the first 4 to all
hosts, dist out network.conf to target networks, and still have more
speciifc conf files take effect.

Yes, we could achieve the same by disting and catting them all
together. Or, because we have three targets, we could use the
httpd/access/srm.conf, and live with the unobvious naming.

But we've found this easier, and as the guy said -- the
code is so general it's an obvious step.

He -- this and child_init() on one day, cool :-)

-- Martijn Koster, m.koster@webcrawler.com