httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: 1.3a1
Date Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:52:28 GMT
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> And if we do release a source version, I have a feeling that
> within hours there will be all sorts of binary versions floating about
> anyway.  We may as well keep some control over how the thing is compiled
> and release a binary version so we have some hope of determining whether a
> reported problem is a genuine bug or somebody who didn't know how to use
> their compiler.

That is a good point and a valid concern. I guess we could weasel around
it by adding some statements at the release like "please do not
distribute binaries" or something like that. The general concern is
that with binaries available we may get a rash of bug reports with
no real feedback on what could possibly be wrong, the assumption
being that someone with a compiler may be able to possibly point
out where in the code it's acting up. Of course, that's a stretch
since we don't get that very often under UNIX, but...

I don't think there is a perfect solution, but just providing a
souce version may be the lesser of 2 evils.