httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES alloc.c alloc.h http_protocol.c http_protocol.h mod_cgi.c util_script.c util_script.h
Date Mon, 07 Jul 1997 02:48:48 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > I would rather not go to the voting system yet.  Perhaps I haven't made
> > myself clear in the past:  I feel completely constrained to the point of
> > uselessness at times when working on Apache.  I have had over the past
> > four weeks, A LOT OF FREE TIME, but much of it has been spent bickering
> > about things rather than implementing something.  There is crap that I
> > would implement (like the <Directory> performance enhancements requiring
> > slight semantic changes in obscure portions of the semantics), but I fear
> > that it will get voted down.
>
> While I agree with your concerns, I am more concerned about a whole
> load of stuff going in that isn't clearly thought out or unified.
>
> My preferred way of working on 1.3 right now is to submit patches
> other than trivial things to the list for voting, give people
> a while to look them over, but then go ahead and commit even if you
> don't end up with 3 +1s.

One main reason for the voting process was to ensure that people actually
_looked_ at the code before it was commited. Without that, it is
way too easy for stuff to "sneak" into the code that people
forget all about and then wonder why things work this way.

IMO Apache is still a group effort, not a bunch of independent people
commiting code. Getting rid of voting easily leads to the latter.