httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bryce Ryan <bry...@priscilla.ultima.org>
Subject Re: www.jpl.nasa.gov
Date Sun, 06 Jul 1997 03:51:53 GMT
My mailer says that Randy Terbush said:

> Agreed. Serious meltdown. I think they said something about 8
> million hits yesterday. Would be a learning experience for all of
> us to learn a bit more about what they are seeing. I've sent a mail
> to 'webmaster' to see if we can establish contact.

that's not all that much.  we ran 6M hits/day for a site at Organic
with no difficulty <grin> on a sparc 5.  we just loaded the machine
up with 256M of memory and a boat load of servers.  i suspect they
are memory and cpu bound. we found that lots of CGI's really stop
a server in its tracks, and spent some time optimizing them, moving
them to a different server, and what not.

--
=== Bryce Ryan ========= AMBIANCE ======== brycer@ultima.org ===
=== Internet Services, Education and ToasterNet Construction ===