httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: HostnameLookups Off
Date Thu, 26 Jun 1997 07:18:29 GMT
> I'd like to make the default HostnameLookups be off.  It's a waste of
> bandwidth/latency for some sites to do this because they probably don't
> even look at the logs.  Or they can do the ip lookups later.  For those
> that want it, they can turn it back on quite easily.
>
> I wonder how much of the load on the root servers is just apaches running
> out there in the default config getting responses nobody cares about :)

+1 on this one.  If I could +99 it, I would.

When I was in Norway last year, this was Linus Torvalds first question to
me.  And I quote, "What on earth possesed you guys to default Hostname
Lookups to On?".

We will need to document this change in a rather large and bold font
somewhere though to avoid the barrage of idiots who will email and
complain that their log analyzers have suddenly broken.

-Rasmus