httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: NT and modules
Date Wed, 18 Jun 1997 05:05:45 GMT
> I don't see that. If mod_dld works on your system, "cc -o
> mod_whatever.c" will built a module, and "LoadModule whatever_module
> mod_whatever.o" will install it at runtime.

It is slightly more complex that just doing a cc -o to build the module
though.  You have to build a shared library.  This is pretty hairy on a
bunch of compilers.

If we are going to make an effort on this front, we might as well go all
the way.  Let modules get loaded and unloaded on a per-request basis, not
just at runtime.

For example.  I might have a page that doesn't get hit very often, but it
requires mod_perl and Oracle tie-ins.  Next to it I might have another
page written for mod_php.  And in the meantime 99% of my hits are just
static HTML hits that don't need either.  It would be cool to be able to
load and unload mod_php and mod_perl when necessary.

-Rasmus