httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
Subject Re: GUI Development for Apache
Date Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:11:39 GMT
> > I think that a Tk frontend would be a good solution. Coupled with
> > SNMP this could be a fairly portable interface to NT. (Haven't seen
> > Tk on NT, but I hear that it works).
>
> 	I prefer something cross platform, which would be a web-based
> java thing. I know this java guy who has expressed an interest in
> doing a java frontend, I can dig up his contact info and let him know
> if we go that path.

Java is still pretty clunky on a lot of hardware.  I would much rather
concentrate on improving access to configuration parameters and publish
what would amount to a configuration API.  We would have 3 different Java
interfaces, 2 tcl's and a 127 Perl interfaces within weeks.  This may not
sound good, but I think it is.  This doesn't stop us from doing an
interface as well, but I don't think we should waste a lot of cycles
arguing GUI aesthetics or even about the implementation language.  We will
never agree on that anyway.

I still like the idea of using LDAP.  Defining virtual hosts via LDAP
seems like a perfect fit.

-Rasmus