httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: cvsup vs cvs
Date Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:09:09 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> No, cvsup goes on _top_ of CVS to allow easier access to the repository.
>
> The main use isn't for people who already have commit access, but it is
> intented to allow people who don't easier read-only access to the CVS
> tree.  Right now the only way is downloading the complete repository.
> That is bad, especially now that more people are joining the mailing list
> (with the combination of NT and the fact that it is now documented) and
> want to put their useful testing skills to work...

After a little help from Marc, I got cvsupd working for my own cvs
repositories (not apache stuff).

I've got a main repository at the end of a 28.8 modem and it was taking
me a good 2+ hours to do a "cvs -z update -Pd" on ~1.2mb of html in ~17,000
files.  With cvsupd it looks (from initial tests) like this will be reduced
to 5-10 minutes. woo hoo!.

cvsup saves bandwidth big time.