httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: [2.0] proposed vhost config rewrite
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:42:50 GMT

My radical idea for the configs is this.. simplify the config syntax
for Apache to parse at the expense of keeping it human readable, then
promote (and provide) the use of offline config filters that take input
as something more human readable or even the output of a GUI and then
output in an Apache readable format.

We're moving more and more towards having a config language and that's
probably an unecessary overhead for the server itself. Using standalone
config "compilers" looks plausible to me.

If we did something like this, we could support an Apache config file
that just looked something like this:

FilterConfig "/foo/bar/my-perl-compiler < /foo/bar/my_configs_in_language_X"

My httpd.conf currently contains an embedded Perl script (thanks to
mod_perl). I wouldn't expect Apache to use Perl, not because it isn't
a good solution, but because it won't suit everyone and it'll be a
bugger to get working on everyone's systems. The above would let me
use a Perl config compiler and someone else a Java one...

or we could all use mod_perl   >:-)