httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: [2.0 API] update to "apigen" script
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 15:43:13 GMT
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> This will sound pretty snippy, but I certainly hope not...
>
> You may actually want to _wait_ until the Apache Group decides
> what it thinks before you decide to "take" Apache in the
> direction you think it needs to go.
>
> I certainly wouldn't, for example, start a new sendmail configuration
> file format and then, on the sendmail newsgroups and mailing
> lists, start saying stuff like "Well, I'm almost done with my
> sendmail.cf rewrite. How about a few comments and I can start
> the server code changes. Eric, when do you think we can fold
> this in??"

.. jumping on a fence.

It's good to have people keen to get their hands dirty and actually
code something, however, from experience with Rob Thau's design and
work on the existing API I think there's a lot to be gained from
discussing things FIRST and implementing them later rather than the
other way around.