httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: Vhosts
Date Sun, 08 Jun 1997 23:36:48 GMT
On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> What is your global ServerName, and how does it correspond to the ip
> address that foo.imdb.com and us.imdb.com resolve to?

both come out of round-robin DNS for multiple machines. I've got
servers named  usN.imdb.com (N=4..9) which answer to 'us.imdb.com'
and (for a few more hours today) as 'conair.imdb.com'.

Using ServerAlias helped a lot - stopping other aliases defaulting
to one of the vhosts.

Other things I've now done.. moved "hosts" above "bind" in host.conf
and added a mapping from current IP address to the shared "us.imdb.com"
name. Previously bind was first and only usN.imdb.com mapped to the
IP address.

I think one of the usN machines would almost always start up thinking
it was the vhost machine becuase it was its turn in the r-r-dns (they
all restarted together, so one had to be 'it').

Any tips on managing these things would be appreciated.