httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: pserver on taz?
Date Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:12:32 GMT
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Hmmm - fixed FreeBSD. In order to use ssh with CVS, I installed it (I'd been
> using it from the build directory, a bad habit of mine). Installing it made it
> setuid root, which allowed it to set the local port to 1023, which meant my
> firewall blocked it. Removing the setuid bit fixed it. Why does it need
> setuid? I'm using 1.2.20, BTW.

It uses setuid to do some wigged-out rhosts-like auth.  It's not
necessary, you can run entirely in user-space.  RSAAuthentication is the
best form and it doesn't require setuid.

> Now - is there a freeware ssh port to Windows?

Yup, <http://www.newmonics.com/~set/>

If that won't go through your firewall from the win32 box you can try a
ssh to ssh tunnel through a unix box.  i.e. make CVS_RSH on the NT box ssh
to a unix box which then does an ssh to taz.

Dean