httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: NT and modules
Date Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:07:39 GMT
I'm 99.9% sure freebsd implements copy-on-write semantics for fork().
Nothing writes into the executable... so it doesn't get copied.  But I'm
also 99.9% sure that the executable's image in memory is just paged from
disk and shared automatically regardless of who execs it.

I'd be really surprised to hear otherwise...

The same is true for solaris, linux, irix, and pretty much everything
else.  This is at least a ten year old feature of unixes -- as soon as
memory managers could support fault-on-write sharing became quite
feasible.  Prior to that there was the sticky bit which implied the
executable wasn't going to dink with its code segment once loaded and so
could be shared.

Some versions of top actually show you the shared resources.  On
static.wired.com each httpd only has 80k unshared data (and there's ~500
of them :).

Dean