httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: More on configuration parsing
Date Mon, 16 Jun 1997 23:52:43 GMT
If you don't set a ServerName in the global server, and you follow all the
other hints on the dns-caveats.html page then apache only needs to
gethostbyname( gethostname() ).  i.e. only needs to look up the ip address
of the server it is running on.  I always set my systems up so that
succeeds :)  After all you need to stick the hostname in /etc/hosts
anyhow, why not fully qualify it?

But there's interest in completely eliminating the "global" server and
revamping vhosts in which case apache will be able to boot without any
DNS at all.

Dean