httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [2.0] proposed vhost config rewrite
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 17:59:13 GMT
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:
> For example, the every-popular request
> to not log local accesses:

You can not log local accesses now, just pump your log through a |.
Or post-process it.  Why do you want to pay the cpu-penalty and
latency inline with every request?

I am really concerned that this totally generic language is going to
become one of our worst mistakes ever.  Reasons:

- performance.  This can't be made to go fast enough, it's far far far too
  general.  The examples I've seen so far make me think we should just
  be writing apache 2.0 in Perl and eval the config file on every hit.

- bugs.  I bet we'll spend a year just debugging the interpreter and the
  phases of the moon.  This is far worse than just deciding on the order
  of <Directory> vs. <Files> vs. <Location>.

- user confusion.  We'll be living up to that PC Week claim that you
  have to be a unix guru ...

In the past if you wanted this functionality you had to write a module.
If you don't know C there's always mod_perl.  Hence all of this is
possible now.  With Alexei's modifications to the API you have even
more fine control.

Why re-invent the wheel?

Dean