httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [2.0] proposed vhost config rewrite
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 01:32:53 GMT
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> Should be we using IP addresses at all?

I've given this lots of thought... you can read some of the reasons why ip
addresses are required for robustness and security in the dns-caveats.html
page.

Note that I mention doing a reverse dns lookup in the Appendix: Future
Directions... I'm not being daft -- I know that reverse DNS is possibly
not under the control of the admin.  But my reason for suggesting that is
that either the reverse lookup is on one of the admin's blocks, in which
case it's the admin's fault if it is wrong.  Or it's in some outside
block.  In which case it's *highly unlikely* that the server actually
responds to that address... and so it doesn't matter if it thinks a vhost
is on the bogus address.

But 1.1 Host: headers "solve" these problems.  Or do they?  Well, consider
Standard U. which has a math and a chem department, whose servers are
aptly named www.math.standard.edu and www.chem.standard.edu but are
actually hosted on the same machine using name-vhosts.  Running netscape
on my pc.math.standard.edu I access "www".  Netscape sends "Host: www".
That's exactly correct.  What does the central webserver do?  How does it
know to serve "www.math.standard.edu" ?

In the end I have to conclude that ip addresses are still necessary.

Dean