httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason A. Dour" <...@bcc.louisville.edu>
Subject Feedback from The Apache Group.
Date Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:07:45 GMT

It's always pleasing to see your product praised in print.  That's why the
Apache Group was at first happy with the positive press it received in
Michael Moeller's cover story, "FORT APACHE" (PCWeek, June 9, 1997)  and
Jim Rapoza's related article, "IT'S NOT EASY.  SO WHAT?"  (PCWeek, pg18,
June 9, 1997).  We were dismayed, however, by a statement made by Mr.
Moeller and by what we feel to be a misleading account of Apache's
performance in the benchmark graph from PC Week Labs.

Mr. Moeller's article did a good job of explaining Apache's strengths and
popularity -- until the last column.  He writes, "Anyone unfamiliar with
hard-core Unix programming will not be able to get Apache running, said
users."  To this statement, we must take strong exception.  Of the
hundreds of thousands of installations of Apache, how many does Mr.
Moeller believe to be administered by "hard-core Unix programmers?"
Apache end-users are a diverse bunch: from computer novices, to system
administrators of varying ability and station, to Mr. Moeller's
"hard-core" example, to everyday people who need good solid web server
software.  Mr.  Moeller's statement from undisclosed "users" is a
disappointing low-point for an otherwise well crafted article.

As for the benchmark on page 18, we must wonder about the validity of the
claims it made.  Microsoft's IIS is shown overall to triple the
performance of two versions of Apache.  These figures are hard to believe.
Internal testing as well as repeated user feedback indicates that Apache's
performance meets or far exceeds any of the competition's.  Your labs
corresponded with the Apache Group in regards to tuning the server, but
apparently did not make the recommended configuration changes.  We believe
the reported numbers would be much different if the Apache configuration
were better optimized to meet the benchmark's performance metrics of a
high-performance web server.

The Apache Group would welcome and appreciate having an opportunity
to work with PC Week Labs to verify and possibly correct these
benchmark results.  We would like to provide a configuration that
would be more appropriate to the platform and benchmark conditions
while remaining relatively unbiased toward the specific tests.  If
it can be demonstrated to our satisfaction that the test environment
was fair across the various servers, we will confirm the fact.

Sincerely,

 Jason A. Dour <jad@bcc.louisville.edu>
 Ken Coar <coar@decus.org>
 Sameer Parekh <sameer@c2.net>