httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: branched tree
Date Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:32:50 GMT
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Actually, what we have is a mostly working version, which works on both Unix
> and NT. Which makes it 1.3.

Is that a valid assumption? If it was released as 1.3 it would imply that
the implementation decisions about multithreading, new directives, API
changes, etc, have been subject to thorough group analysis and review.
This is not the case. If we are going to release 1.3 as "the" Unix+NT
integrated version we have to be sure that this major changes are
implemented in a way that everyone - both NT and Unix developers - are
happy with. This will require a longer period of analysis before the
release.

I prefer to release Apache NT as it is now as 1.2, with clear notices that
the implementation of multithreading, API changes and new directives _may_
change in a future integrated product (whether that is 1.3 or 2.0).

//pcs