httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Source reorganisation
Date Sun, 29 Jun 1997 23:02:27 GMT
On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Paul Sutton wrote:

[...]

> I think it makes the Apache source tree easier to manage, allows us to
> start on OS abstraction, makes it easier to provide additonal modules and
> provides a better level of organisation to the source. It should also have
> _no_ effect on the stabilty of Apache itself, since there are no code
> changes.

I'm not against these changes in 1.3, but I personally feel they'd go
better into 2.0, when we *are* making code changes. For one thing, the
origanlization of the reoganization needs some thinking about (the
exact proposal you made has some problems, as others have pointed
out).

However, there is one thing that's always bugged me about Apache
vs. some other Unix packages, and this has to do with both the
organization of the source and the configuration issue, is this:
To compile the server, Apache requires the user to go into the src/
directory, and muck with things there, and the httpd binary ends up
there. IMHO, Configure and the Makefile it produces should be in the
top-level directory, as should the resultant httpd binary. Again IMHO,
the user should never be forced to even see source files unless they
plan to read or change them (which I think most Apache users do
not).

But as I said, this is more a 2.0 thing. I'd still like to see a 1.3b1
within a month.