httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.2.1
Date Mon, 23 Jun 1997 07:15:46 GMT
On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Vote on these over next few days.  Commit them to 1_2_X branch (be sure to
> update CHANGES, I notice that HEAD is missing some CHANGES updates).  Produce

Don't bother. Our "policy" (actually, something I decided a few months
ago when I noticed src/CHANGES was rather large, and no one
complained) is to not update src/CHANGES for major releases (e.g.,
1.3b1), only for minor ones (.e.g, 1.2.1, 1.3b2).

> a 1.2.1 testing version including at least the security fix, and probably
> most of the trivial patches below by June 29th.  If that works for us
> release it.  Otherwise rev to 1.2.2 to fix problems we discover while
> testing.  Release 1.2.X on July 3rd or July 7th (I'm out of town that
> weekend).

Why can't we just release a 1.2.1 that's different from the 1.2.1-dev
we test? Or do you mean a public test?

> I'll merge the 1.2 -> 1.2.X changes into HEAD after we're done since
> little of this affects our short-term work on HEAD.
>
> *OR*
>
> Vote on these.  Commit to HEAD.  I'll play release engineer and merge them
> into 1_2_X and produce a testing version by june 29th... yadda yadda.

Well, some of them are already in HEAD. I say put them all in HEAD,
then put them all in 1.2.X. Whichever way, please put the patches into
both branches separately. Otherwise, six months from now, someone will
be going through the cvs logs trying to find a patch, and will find
just a big entry with a log that says "Fixes from 1.2.1." That person
will be annoyed at us :)

But I vote for you to commit them all to 1.2.x and make sure CHANGES
is properly updated, etc... It's less confusing if one person does it.

> Oh yeah and note that we don't have to list 1.2.x as the latest stable
> release.  We could just put it up and say "it fixes stuff but hasn't
> been tested as thoroughly as 1.2.0, please give it a try".

We don't have to release it at all. Though I think we should. But we
should get these patches into 1.2.1-dev in case we have to release a
1.2.1 immediately or some reason.

[...]

>     * Alexei's bug! in pregsub
> 	<Pine.HPP.3.95.970622023841.396A-100000@ace.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>

This one's already in HEAD too. Maybe some of the others too, but I
happen to know this one, because it's my patch :)