httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: NT and modules
Date Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:44:22 GMT
On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Ya know... perhaps we are being stupid here, but most UNIX systems
> have shared library capability. We are already creating modules
> like mod_proxy as a .a that is being linked to the server. Why
> couldn't we do the same with modules by creating a shared lib?
> Seems that if nothing else, this could really reduce the memory
> usage of hundreds of server processes?

I'd love to see this done. We have a module (mod_dld.c) that links
object files into the server at runtime using gdld. If someone wants
to modify this to work with shared libraries in a way that works on
many Unices, that'd be great. The last part seems to be the sticking
point, if I recall correctly. A few years ago, when mod_dld was first
written, I recall most Unix OSes doing this differently (if at
all). Maybe that's changed, or maybe it was just wrong.

Regardless, this has always been on my Apache 2.0 list - not shared
libs per se, but just the ability to have modules loaded at runtime
instead of at compile-time.