httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: some votes, thoughts
Date Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:17:42 GMT
On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > Someone should compare sfio and bstdio, it would be nice to avoid rolling
> > our own layered i/o system.  We seem to agree on the need for layered i/o.
>
> I think sfio is more universal, esp since Perl now has some hooks
> for it. I think sfio-Perl is still semi-experimental but at least
> that means sfio is being worked on and is available from CPAN :)

Eh. I don't know if universal is an issue; whatever we end up picking,
we'll have to bundle it with Apache. So whether we go for sfio, a
less-well-known variant, or roll our own, it's all the same. We go for
what works. As for Doug's question, yes, it's required. There's too
many possibilities for useful things that can be done with a layered
IO system to make it an option.