httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Thoughts on a 2.0 API
Date Mon, 09 Jun 1997 23:57:56 GMT
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, sameer wrote:

> > What about non-HTTP protocols? How would they fit into this abstraction
> > model?
>
> 	Apache is an HTTP server. I don't really see much point in
> doing non-HTTP.

Agreed. Although the proxy servers acts a client in non-HTTP
protocols, even it only serves HTTP. Making Apache protocol-blind
entirely would be hell, and, IMHO, would be not worth the effort,
especially for 2.0. We can put it on the "Apache 2000" list, I
suppose.

For the near future at least, I see Apache only serving HTTP and
related protocols (although there are some other file transfer
protocols that fit, albeit awkwardly, into the HTTP request model - we
could probably make Apache support gopher, for example).